You have probably heard that Dish Network is closing the remaining company-owned Blockbuster stores and that the DVD by mail service would be ending as well.
In case you haven’t heard the news, here is the email I just received from Blockbuster about the DVD by mail service:
As a Blockbuster By Mail customer, you may be aware that Blockbuster announced that it will no longer provide its ‘DVD through the mail’ service. The Blockbuster DVD By Mail service will be permanently discontinued on December 13, 2013. This was not an easy decision, but it was a rational decision consistent with the viewing habits of the majority of Blockbuster customers as they transition from the disc rental to video on demand and digital distribution of video entertainment.
We believe that our Blockbuster@Home offered through DISH, and our Blockbuster On Demand product available over the internet, will provide Blockbuster customers with virtually all services they previously received through one of our Blockbuster stores or the By Mail service, plus access to over 15 movie channels, 20,000 movies and TV shows over the internet and up to 1,000 movies stored on a whole home DVR. We are also offering Blockbuster customers who sign up for Blockbuster@Home a free iPad so they can access their movies anywhere through an internet connection. The terms and conditions of this special offer to Blockbuster customers are described below.
With respect to your Blockbuster DVD account, the following is important information you need to know:
1. Existing customer accounts were no longer renewed (or charged) as of November 13.
2. All customers will continue to receive service through the remainder of their individual service month.
3. If you wish to look up the date when your individual service month will end, please log in to www.BLOCKBUSTER.com, go to the ‘My Account’ page and look for the Next Billing Date.
4. Your final disc(s) are due back at our facilities no later than 30-days after the end of your service month. You may choose to keep the disc(s) and be billed the appropriate purchase amount for the titles. Individual titles are priced differently. You may find the cost of each title at www.BLOCKBUSTER.com.
5. You can learn more at www.BLOCKBUSTER.com including full frequently asked questions list.
Back to Netflix.